Thursday, March 23, 2006

A New Perspective

My earlier post had to do with the newly released movie, V for Vendetta. When I was writing the post, I had not yet seen the movie for myself, thus I had to rely on various magazine and online reviews as a basis. Unfortunately, these reviews portrayed a very different Vendetta than what I viewed.
The biggest misperception of these reviews has to do with the character of V. The majority of the articles I read cast the character of V in a very dark light. His role was described as being a "terrorist hero." V is definitely the hero of this film, but a terrorist? When I think of a terrorist, I think of an individual completely lacking of compassion and respect for humanity; someone who will readily take the lives of the unjust and the just -- the guilty and the innocent, in order to fulfill his or her selfish ambitions. V is certainly willing to employ violence as a means to achieving what he believes is his life's purpose, but what is his purpose? It goes far deeper than his own personal vendetta agaist certain government officials (a quest we all grow to understand and respect). He also intends to free his own people from an oppressive totalitarian regime. The first may have been selfish, but the latter is far from it. In this respect, V falls into the same category as William Wallace in Braveheart and Maximus in Gladiator, not Osama bin Laden or Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. The film definitely shows a human side to V. He expresses love, sorrow, passion and humor on a more human level than one would expect from a cold-hearted monster with no soul. He does make a controversial suggestion that violence can be used to accomplish good. I find myself agreeing with him.


Comic book heroes are too often portrayed as flawless men and women who are only capable of doing good. We are rarely given the opportunity to look into the darker side of their souls with which every human being on the planet can identify. Not so with V. Like just about every other superhero out there, his identity is molded by a sad, painful past. Instead of running away from his past, he embraces it and allows it to fuel both his quest for revenge and his one-man revolution.
All in all, V is not a killing machine detached from his own humanity. Instead, he is a true hero we can sympathize with and cheer on until the end.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Lizzie said...

This has nothing to do with your post, Strider, but Zach said you were reading one of the "Wheel of Time" series books. I have just started the first one, they looked pretty good at the Library, so I decided to test them out, I have heard that they were pretty good.
I(to your post now)like the way you put~~

"Comic book heroes are too often portrayed as flawless men and women who are only capable of doing good. We are rarely given the opportunity to look into the darker side of their souls with which every human being on the planet can identify." That is so true.It lets people see where he is coming fom when you put it that way. Did that make any sense? Probably not,sorry!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Strider said...

Made sense to me!
Concerning the Wheel of Time, I've been a fan of the series for a while now. I don't know if you remember Alec Selz, one of the singers in our praise band. Anyway, his brother, Neil, started me out with the series. I'm up to book 11 or 12 (I forget which one exactly, but it's the latest one in the series :-) Once you get to the third or fourth book, some of the content is a little suggestive, But it's only here and there that you come across them. The bad guys are a bit gruesome, moreso than in Lord of the Rings. Other than that, the series as a whole is a great read! (Be prepared for really long chapters.)

1:31 PM  
Blogger Divided_Heart said...

Thanks for your review on the movie I like your perspective. I"ll have to hear Zach's insight too. Hey I didn't see that new lady in the lake or whatever movie on your movies coming out this year. Not planning on seeing it?

10:47 AM  
Blogger Strider said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Strider said...

I would have included M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water (yes, Water -- Lady in the Lake is a poem ;-), but as of yet there has been no official movie poster released. And I don't include a movie unless it has a poster!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Lizzie said...

Thanks for your input on the "Wheel Of Time" Series, Steph and Zach gave me some 'friendly' advice,and I have decided to put those books aside for right now until I am 16 or so.... Maybe later I'll pick them up, they do look and sound quite interesting..oh and I do know who you are talking about..Alec Selz...
Thanks!

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Josh Bryant said...

Cool...Sounds good to me. Now I can't wait to see "V". Cool blog too.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Den Activist said...

My (12 y/o) son and I went to see V. There were times I had to do some explaining to him for him to understand V's perspective.

One of those things I had to explain to him was that all government does not always act in the best interest of its people, and that there are times when "good" people have to do bad things to a few "good" people for the good of the whole. And that is ok, politically speaking and in terms of leadership.

I explained that the problem is when a certain group of individuals are targeted and are forced to be guinea pigs because they have a voice in society, those who elect them to be participants don't care about them, and/or they have not consented to being a participant.

--At least he got the full flavor of what goes on in literature/movies and real life to hopefully reach his own conclusions when he gets older.

Oh, I like your review. MUCH better than the review sanctioned by the media. I feel there were times when the line between terrorism and a war hero was crossed, but I do feel the director WANTED it to appear that way.

Den Activist

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home